The school superintendent in Princeton, Minn. says classes will be held for the remainder of the week after a suspicious package found outside his town's high school on Wednesday contained an incendiary device.
Superintendent Rick Lahn said staffers discovered a strange looking device in front of the high school's main entrance before students arrived. He said Princeton police told him the device could potentially have been a homemade bomb.
That prompted the school district to evacuate everyone in the area and redirect buses with children to schools on the north side of town.
Lahn said police have assured him the town has been thoroughly searched for additional potential bomb threats.
"So school will be open and we will proceed as usual with a little bit extra caution," Lahn said. "And when I open, to make sure that we don't find any more of these kinds of devices around the school property."
Lahn said he doesn't think it was a large device, but doesn't know what kind of damage it could have done.
The suspicious package, discovered by a custodian outside the high school, was one of three found in Princeton on Wednesday morning prompting the school district to send its 3,500 students home.
The first was found about 6:30 a.m. behind a post office. Another was found at the city's public utilities office.
City officials said at a late-morning news conference that all three scenes had been cleared.
The FBI, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, and several local law enforcement agencies were assisting in the investigation.
Princeton is about 50 miles north of Minneapolis.
(The Associated Press contributed to this report.)