A soon-expiring health care program for 28,000 low-income adults will survive a month longer than anticipated.
Gov. Tim Pawlenty's administration said Wednesday that the General Assistance Medical Care program will remain in place until April 1, a month longer than previously announced.
Human Services Commissioner Cal Ludeman says the extension results from lower costs in operating the program. It is still due to fade away though because Pawlenty vetoed continued funding for it.
GAMC covers very low-income adults - some homeless, others with incomes as low as a couple thousand dollars a year. The administration plans to move some into MinnesotaCare, a premium-based public insurance program.
Legislative Democrats say they'll try to revive GAMC during a session that begins next week.
(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)