State officials are still concerned about wildfires across the state, and on Monday they will implement even stricter rules on open burning.
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources said Friday that campfires will not be allowed at non-designated campsites in 37 Minnesota counties.
The DNR had previously said no permits would be issued for burning debris in those counties. The new rule could affect people who set up campfires at shore launches or while on day hikes and backpacking trips.
Charcoal grills and campfires built in designated receptacles at campgrounds, resorts and homes are still allowed.
The DNR said fireworks will also be prohibited outside of municipalities because of the potential to spark a grass or brush fire.
Unusually dry, warm weather in March and April have increased the risk for wildfires.
The 37 counties affected are Aitkin, Anoka, Becker, Beltrami, Benton, Carlton, Cass, Chisago, Clearwater, Cook, Crow Wing, Douglas, Grant, Hubbard, Isanti, Itasca, Kanabec, Kittson, Koochiching, Lake, Lake of the Woods, Mahnomen, Marshall, Mille Lacs, Morrison, Otter Tail, Pennington, Pine, Polk (that portion east of County Highway 6 and south of State Highway 92), Pope, Roseau, Sherburne, Stearns, Stevens, St. Louis, Todd, and Wadena.
Editor's note: A previous version of this story stated that 41 counties were included in the new restrictions. The DNR later revised the list of counties to include only 37.