Hennepin County has cut its budget for the second year in a row. The county board approved its 2011 budget of $1.6 billion at its Tuesday meeting. That's about 5 percent less than the 2010 budget.
County board chairman Mike Opat said so far, the county has found ways to trim the budget internally, as positions go unfilled or case loads are increased.
Opat added the budget may need to be revised if state payments to counties decline as a result of the state's budget deficit.
"Where we haven't chose to reduce library hours or close service centers, I think that time is coming near," he said. "We haven't done a lot of crying wolf about that, but in my estimation if we continue to get cuts from the state we're going to have to pass those along."
For the second year in a row, there will be no cost-of-living wage adjustments for county staff for 2011.