An article in the New York Times sheds new light on the story of former Wild player Derek Boogaard and his struggle with prescription drugs. Boogaard died last year of an accidental overdose of painkillers and alcohol. He was 28 years old.
Documents obtained by the Times show Boogaard received more than 100 prescriptions for thousands of pills. Those prescriptions came largely from team doctors for the Minnesota Wild and the New York Rangers. Some of those drugs were prescribed even after Boogaard entered an NHL substance abuse program.
The Times' investigation was based on information gathered by Derek Boogaard's father, Len Boogaard.
Morning Edition host Cathy Wurzer talked with New York Times reporter John Branch, who wrote the story.