Much of the aftermath from major flooding in northeastern Minnesota is becoming clearer today. Officials, including Governor Mark Dayton, will be assessing damage.
The zoo in Duluth is mourning the loss of several animals from their barn. The zoo is moving their polar bear and seals to the Como Zoo in St. Paul. Many area roads are still closed.
State parks in that part of the state have also been affected.
Cheri Zeppelin, DNR information officer for the northeast region, tells Morning Edition host Cathy Wurzer how the flood has impacted Minnesota state parks.
Northeast Minnesota Floods • Map: Duluth, North Shore flooding
• Closures: Highways, Duluth streets state parks
• Photos: Duluth, northeast Minnesota awash
• Story: Some zoo animals perish, others rescued
• Story: Cell phone, 911, cable out in Arrowhead
• Story: Rural areas cut off
• News Cut blog: Flash floods caught on video
• Statewide blog: Dramatic reader photos