The Minneapolis Fire Marshal says unattended candles caused a fire that destroyed a condominium building Friday morning in the city's Uptown neighborhood.
The three-alarm blaze sent one person to the hospital for smoke inhalation and displaced residents of the three-story building.
Investigators determined unattended candles in a first floor condo unit started the blaze, Minneapolis Fire Department Deputy Chief Perry Ebner said.
Ebner said people should never leave lit candles alone in a room, but that he does not know the circumstances in this case.
"If you really have to have a candle, someone should be in its presence at all times. If you're going to walk out just for a minute, blow the candle out and re-light it," Ebner said. "I know it sounds like it might be more trouble than it's worth, but in the long run, if something does happen — as you can see at this building here, it's burned to the ground; eight units is down to rubble."
The remains of the condo building are being demolished.
— Follow Rupa Shenoy on Twitter: http://twitter.com/rupashenoy