Memorial Day is generally the weekend when many Minnesotans head north to open cabins. Each year, Alexandria holds a "wake the lakes" celebration to kick off summer, where celebrants can have "breakfast with Big Ole."
• Awake the Lakes celebration continues all weekend in Alexandria, culminating with a Memorial Day parade on Monday.
• A concert to benefit the Oklahoma tornado victims will take place at 4 p.m. Sunday, May 26 at St. Paul's United Church of Christ. Organizers are recruiting singers and instrumentalists for a performance of Mozart's Requiem. Rehearsal is at 2 p.m.
• The Cannon River Rendezvous sets up camp today. Historical re-enactors are gathering about 10 minutes west of Cannon Falls to set a fur trading camp typical of the late 18 and early 19th Centuries. The general public is welcome. It runs through Memorial Day.
• And Zimmerman, Minn., hosts Wild West Days. Entertainment includes a parade, soap box derby and lip-syncing contest.
• The annual Dylan Days celebration in Bob Dylan's hometown of Hibbing continues through Sunday. It includes a literary showcase, tours and a songwriting contest.