A 25-year-old man died hours after firefighters rescued him from an early morning fire Sunday that was blamed on an unattended candle.
Daniel Trabant died at Regions Hospital on Sunday afternoon, fire officials and hospital spokesman Vince Rivard said.
St. Paul Fire Marshal Steve Zaccard said an unattended candle in a second floor bedroom ignited some drapes just before 6 a.m.
Seven college-aged people were in the home in the Hamline-Midway neighborhood. Five of them escaped uninjured after a smoke alarm went off, but firefighters found Trabant unconscious on the second floor, Zaccard said.
"It's an unintentional fire, but a careless one. You should never leave candles unattended. When you leave the room blow them out. When you leave home blow them out. When you go to sleep, make sure you put them out," Zaccard said.
A second resident was hospitalized for minor smoke inhalation.
The Ramsey County medical examiner's office will determine the cause of Trabant's death.
The house only had one smoke alarm, Zaccard said.
The Associated Press contributed to this report