Minneapolis will join the city of St. Paul and others to support a lawsuit challenging the governor's budget cuts. Minneapolis City Council members Friday approved a request from the city attorney's office to file a friend of the court brief.
Late last year, a Ramsey County judge ruled that Gov. Pawlenty overstepped his authority by unilaterally cutting funds to a special program for low-income Minnesotans. The governor also cut millions of dollars in aid to Minneapolis.
Council member Betsy Hodges says even though the suit doesn't involve aid to the city, the city is an interested party.
"My hope is that we get clarity on the law and clarity on the Constitution. And clarity about legislative vs. executive power," said Hodges.
The Minnesota Supreme Court has agreed to take quick action on the appeal.