An award-winning journalist, Hannah Yang joined the MPR News’ regional team as the southwest Minnesota reporter in December 2019. Having extensively covered the southeast part of the state, Hannah has experience in bringing the stories from rural areas in Greater Minnesota into the light and for addressing the challenges small towns face. Reporting through her storytelling and from behind the lens as a photographer and videographer, Hannah looks to tell stories from the prairie lands as the divide between rural and urban becomes more pronounced.
Before joining MPR News, she served as the regional reporter for the Rochester Post Bulletin for three years and was the county/education reporter for the Austin Daily Herald. She worked as a features intern for The Columbus Dispatch in Ohio and graduated with a bachelor’s degree in journalism and specialization and a minor degree in Spanish from Ohio University, where she worked as a freelance reporter for The Athens News.
Hannah is from Cleveland and cheers for Cleveland sports teams. She is a proud first-generation Korean-American and a daughter of South Korean immigrants. She was raised with her older brother and learned about life through the lenses of two different cultures. Hannah is married and lives with her husband and corgi in southwest Minnesota. She’s obsessed with Harry Potter books and the television show “Parks and Recreation.”
- 'I brush my teeth myself': Families line up in droves for free Mankato dental clinic
- Berries, pears and pawpaws: SW Minn. food forest takes root
- Mankato program helps students develop skills, transition into community
- Lederhosen optional, masks required: New Ulm's Oktoberfest goes low-key in pandemic
- 1st District candidates Hagedorn, Feehan face off in debate
- U.S. Highway 14 receives $22 million federal grant to expand, finish six-decade project
- Another COVID-19 ripple effect: Many meat processors booked up through deer season
- Supporters worry mining company’s bankruptcy filing could leave fate of prairie undecided
- Henderson holds out hope for flooding relief — as rivers continue to rise
- MSU Mankato working with local schools to confront lack of teacher diversity