An award-winning journalist, Hannah Yang joined the MPR News’ regional team as the southwest Minnesota reporter in December 2019. Having extensively covered the southeast part of the state, Hannah has experience in bringing the stories from rural areas in Greater Minnesota into the light and for addressing the challenges small towns face. Reporting through her storytelling and from behind the lens as a photographer and videographer, Hannah looks to tell stories from the prairie lands as the divide between rural and urban becomes more pronounced.
Before joining MPR News, she served as the regional reporter for the Rochester Post Bulletin for three years and was the county/education reporter for the Austin Daily Herald. She worked as a features intern for The Columbus Dispatch in Ohio and graduated with a bachelor’s degree in journalism and specialization and a minor degree in Spanish from Ohio University, where she worked as a freelance reporter for The Athens News.
Hannah is from Cleveland and cheers for Cleveland sports teams. She is a proud first-generation Korean-American and a daughter of South Korean immigrants. She was raised with her older brother and learned about life through the lenses of two different cultures. Hannah is married and lives with her husband and corgi in southwest Minnesota. She’s obsessed with Harry Potter books and the television show “Parks and Recreation.”
- Henderson holds out hope for flooding relief — as rivers continue to rise
- MSU Mankato working with local schools to confront lack of teacher diversity
- After Floyd killing, MSU Mankato reviews criminal justice program — with community input
- Rochester, Mankato to require masks indoors in fight against COVID-19
- Nick Brey, Gabriela Trapero and Briar Lenz: This moment is ‘more than a trend’
- 'A Good Time for the Truth: Race in MN' chosen as next One Book One Minnesota read
- 'We need to help them': Asian Americans demand justice for George Floyd
- 'We’re all one paycheck away': More Minnesotans flocking to food shelves
- Minnesota American Legion cancels 2020 baseball season
- Minn. education officials urge virtual ceremonies for graduating seniors