An award-winning journalist, Hannah Yang joined the MPR News’ regional team as the southwest Minnesota reporter in December 2019. Having extensively covered the southeast part of the state, Hannah has experience in bringing the stories from rural areas in Greater Minnesota into the light and for addressing the challenges small towns face. Reporting through her storytelling and from behind the lens as a photographer and videographer, Hannah looks to tell stories from the prairie lands as the divide between rural and urban becomes more pronounced.
Before joining MPR News, she served as the regional reporter for the Rochester Post Bulletin for three years and was the county/education reporter for the Austin Daily Herald. She worked as a features intern for The Columbus Dispatch in Ohio and graduated with a bachelor’s degree in journalism and specialization and a minor degree in Spanish from Ohio University, where she worked as a freelance reporter for The Athens News.
Hannah is from Cleveland and cheers for Cleveland sports teams. She is a proud first-generation Korean-American and a daughter of South Korean immigrants. She was raised with her older brother and learned about life through the lenses of two different cultures. Hannah is married and lives with her husband and corgi in southwest Minnesota. She’s obsessed with Harry Potter books and the television show “Parks and Recreation.”
- New generation of Hmong dancers prep for New Year celebration in SW Minnesota
- International students find community at Bethany Lutheran in Mankato
- Statewide candidates see national attention as early voting continues
- St. Paul mayor names new police chief
- Minnesota Today - Walz and Jensen spar in feisty final gubernatorial debate
- THC businesses struggle to keep up as Minnesota cities set inconsistent rules
- Competitive pumpkin growers gather at Stillwater Harvest Fest
- Minnesota Today PM Edition: Thousands cast ballots in first week of early voting in Mn
- New center aims to be a cultural incubator for generations in Lower Sioux Community
- Feeding Our Future defendant also accused of defrauding Medicaid