An award-winning journalist, Hannah Yang joined the MPR News’ regional team as the southwest Minnesota reporter in December 2019. Having extensively covered the southeast part of the state, Hannah has experience in bringing the stories from rural areas in Greater Minnesota into the light and for addressing the challenges small towns face. Reporting through her storytelling and from behind the lens as a photographer and videographer, Hannah looks to tell stories from the prairie lands as the divide between rural and urban becomes more pronounced.
Before joining MPR News, she served as the regional reporter for the Rochester Post Bulletin for three years and was the county/education reporter for the Austin Daily Herald. She worked as a features intern for The Columbus Dispatch in Ohio and graduated with a bachelor’s degree in journalism and specialization and a minor degree in Spanish from Ohio University, where she worked as a freelance reporter for The Athens News.
Hannah is from Cleveland and cheers for Cleveland sports teams. She is a proud first-generation Korean-American and a daughter of South Korean immigrants. She was raised with her older brother and learned about life through the lenses of two different cultures. Hannah is married and lives with her husband and corgi in southwest Minnesota. She’s obsessed with Harry Potter books and the television show “Parks and Recreation.”
- Formula shortages stressing out some Minnesota parents
- Lakota woman taps Indigenous healing remedies to launch Mankato business
- Feds investigate study pod access at MSU Mankato
- 'Historic' southern Minn. storm: Two tornadoes confirmed, damage surveys continue
- Principal who organized LGBTQ flag display files suit against Marshall's school district
- Family, friends mourning after Austin community leader is killed in Ethiopia
- Supply chain woes, rising costs put stress on food shelves ahead of holidays
- New grant powers electric bus pilot program in Minnesota
- Minnesota’s first all-women pro esports team wants to reshape gaming culture
- Somali American designers take on refugee stereotypes in Minneapolis fashion pop-up