- 'Unsettled Ground' lets its oddballs stay defiantly odd
- 'The Haunting of Alma Fielding' is a ghost story — and a tale of power and fear
- 'Leaving Isn't the Hardest Thing' isn't just a cult memoir
- Ambition, alchemy and searching for way to fit in 'Gold Diggers'
- In 'Girlhood,' a writer examines her youth for signs of the woman she would become
- The victims, rather than the killer, are at the center of 'Last Call'
- 'White Freedom' examines the tandem development of the concepts of freedom and race
- 'Aftershocks' tells of a reckoning with the self — and with memory
- This 'Bestiary' lives in a family's multigenerational stories
- 'Tomboyland' stresses the importance of roots — and knowing when to grow up and away