Winona State student died of acute alcohol poisoning

(AP) - The Winona County Medical Examiner says a Winona State University student died of acute alcohol poisoning.

The death of Jenna Foellmi, 20, of Brownsville was ruled an accident.

Her body was found in her apartment on the morning of Dec. 14. Police say she was seen consuming alcohol for much of the previous day.

Winona Police Chief Frank Pomeroy says the medical examiner declined to release Foellmi's blood alcohol level due to privacy restrictions.

"This young lady started drinking approximately 11 o'clock in the morning, and did not cease that drinking until she passed out sometime after midnight," says Pomeroy. "Apparently she attended a couple of house parties, and we're trying to determine whether or not someone procured that alcohol for her."

Pomeroy says charges could be filed against anyone who supplied alcohol to the underage drinker. Funeral services for Foellmi were held Friday morning in Caledonia.

Before you keep reading ...

MPR News is made by Members. Gifts from individuals fuel the programs that you and your neighbors rely on. Donate today to power news, analysis, and community conversations for all.

Pomeroy also issued a challenge to college students, urging them to adopt a buddy system when it comes to excessive drinking.

Such a program is in place in LaCrosse, Wisconsin. He says students need to have a designated responder when they choose to drink excessively.

Pomeroy also says police are researching a law that would make adult party hosts liable for behavior of underage guests.

Winona State University president Judith Ramaley says the university has been proactive in addressing binge drinking, but the school needs to share responsibility in trying to end the dangerous behavior.

(Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)