Smoldering cigarette butts caused fire that killed St. Thomas student

TommieMedia reports that fire officials have concluded that improper disposal of smoking materials likely caused the house fire that killed sophomore Michael Larson in December.

St. Paul Fire Marshal Steve Zaccard told the college news outlet:

“According to the interviews of the survivors, they smoked out there [on the porch]. They discarded the butts in a plastic container and another container.”

Before you keep reading ...

MPR News is made by Members. Gifts from individuals fuel the programs that you and your neighbors rely on. Donate today to power news, analysis, and community conversations for all.