The police investigation into an uptown Minneapolis shooting that left one man dead and two police officers wounded has been completed, the Minneapolis Police Department said Friday afternoon.
The department in a brief statement wrote that the case involving the killing of Terrance Franklin is now with the Hennepin County Attorney's office. A spokesperson for the Hennepin attorney said the office is reviewing the case. The spokesperson said the policy is to send cases of officer-involved shootings to a grand jury.
On May 10, Franklin, 22, was fatally shot in the basement of an uptown Minneapolis home. He was fleeing police who suspected him in a burglary. Police say after being cornered in the basement, Franklin fought with Minneapolis police officers, grabbing at one of their guns.
The subsequent investigation by police drew some criticism for perceived lack of information provided to the public. Supporters of Franklin protested police handling of the case last week at the Hennepin County Government Center in downtown Minneapolis. Organizer Mel Reeves said that he and others have growing doubts that the shooting was justified.
The Franklin family's attorney, Mike Padden, said the police investigation was shorter than he expected.
"It's a little surprising because it was my belief that they were looking at a longer timeframe, like eight weeks, so the timing is certainly interesting," Padden said.
Grow the Future of Public Media
MPR News is supported by Members. Gifts from individuals power everything you find here. Make a gift of any amount today to become a Member!