State Education Commissioner Brenda Cassellius has appointed 22 people to oversee the state's new anti-bullying efforts.
The Safety and Technical Assistance Council was created under the Safe and Safe and Supportive Schools bill passed by lawmakers this spring. The law strengthened Minnesota's anti-bullying efforts, requiring schools to track and respond to bullying.
Josh Collins, a spokesman for the department, said the newly appointed council will work with state officials to develop anti-bullying programs.
"They're going to be looking at what are those standards, best practices for prevention, intervention, supports for prevention strategies and really advancing those evidence based practices," Collins said.
The council will hold its first meeting in September, when it is expected to take up a new anti-bullying model policy being written by state officials.
"We're eager to begin having our staff working with this council and make sure we can get that support out to the schools, because that's going to be the heart of our work," Collin said.
Council members include:
• Jake Ross, Student
• Michael Reinhardt, Student
• Lea Porter, Student
• Julie Hertzog, Parent
• Tony McClay, Parent
• Joanna Carlson, Parent
• Danny Porter, School Support
• Lisa Englestad, School Support
• Dr. Kelly Smith, Minnesota Association of School Administrators
• Julie Blaha, Education Minnesota
• Cathy Miller, Minnesota School Boards Association
• Jeanette Swanson, Minnesota Association of Secondary School Principals
• Curtis Carpenter, Minnesota Elementary School Principals Association
• Melissa Callahan, Minnesota Department of Corrections
• Hon. Robyn Millenacker, Ramsey County Judge
• Hon. Angela Willms, Hennepin County Judge
• William Wyss, Minnesota Department of Human Services
• Commissioner Brenda Cassellius, Minnesota Department of Education
• Commissioner Kevin Lindsey, Minnesota Department of Human Rights
• Nancy Lageson, Minnesota Department of Public Safety
• Jon Hunt, Minnesota Police Officer
• Amanda Twite, Minnesota Office of Higher Education