A federal grand jury has added murder conspiracy to the charges against five Minnesota men accused of trying to join the ISIS terror group.
Hamza Ahmed, Adnan Farah, Guled Omar, Abdirahman Daud and Mohamed Farah have been indicted with conspiracy to murder overseas, perjury and other charges, U.S. Attorney for Minnesota Andy Luger said in a statement Thursday.
Those five are scheduled to go to trial in February on charges related to their attempts to travel abroad to join the terror organization.
It wasn't immediately clear what led to the murder conspiracy charges, but they've been applied to Minnesota terrorism cases in the past. Young men who were accused of traveling to Somalia to join al-Shabab faced the same charge of conspiring to kill people in a foreign country.
"This is an ongoing investigation and we present the appropriate charges to the grand jury when we believe we're supported by the evidence," said Ben Petok, a spokesman for Luger.
Omar was also charged with attempted financial aid fraud for trying to use $5,000 of financial aid to fund his travel to Turkey.
Three other Minnesota men previously charged in the FBI's terror probe — Abdullahi Yusuf, Hanad Musse, and Zacharia Abdurahman — have pleaded guilty.
Your support matters.
You make MPR News possible. Individual donations are behind the clarity in coverage from our reporters across the state, stories that connect us, and conversations that provide perspectives. Help ensure MPR remains a resource that brings Minnesotans together.