This year marks the 30th observation of Martin Luther King Jr., Day which became a federal holiday in 1986.
In the 1990s, MLK Day officially became a day of service, when Americans are encouraged to volunteer their time to honor King's legacy.
Service and speaking events will be held in King's honor throughout the region on Monday. Some highlights:
Grow the Future of Public Media
MPR News is supported by Members. Gifts from individuals power everything you find here. Make a gift of any amount today to become a Member!
• There are many service opportunities on MLK Day. Find a place to volunteer near you.
Speeches and performances
• Former Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick will deliver the keynote at the MLK Day Breakfast at the Minneapolis Convention Center. The event will be broadcast on TPT and at MLK Day Breakfasts around the state.
• The governor's office has organized an MLK Day celebration at the Ordway in St. Paul, which includes a youth rally, performances and a speech from Gov. Mark Dayton.
• Fargo is hosting a celebration featuring performances by the Buffalo River Singers, Bhutanese Dancers, and Fargo-Moorhead Gay Men's Chorus.
• St. Cloud State University is holding several contests to honor King, including an oratory contest.
• The March and Rally in Duluth will start at Washington Center and end at Duluth Entertainment Convention Center.
• There is also a march and rally in Rochester, starting at Peace Plaza.