Minneapolis Marathon denied permit to hold run

The Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board has denied a permit to the organizers of the Minneapolis Marathon, which had been scheduled for June 5.

The marathon's organizers, Team Ortho Foundation, first approached the park board about the yearly event last August, said Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board spokesperson Dawn Sommers. But the race's proposed route crossed both the Franklin Avenue Bridge and West River Parkway, which are both currently closed.

"Despite our attempts to work with them to get a route and other details confirmed, we never received that information and we never issued them a permit," Sommers said. "Because they had failed to finalize a route, we actually denied the permit."

Sommers said at least 80 police officers would have been required to secure a route the length of a marathon.

The Minneapolis Marathon website on Thursday morning still showed a route that crossed the Franklin Avenue Bridge and ended on the parkway. Representatives of Team Ortho Foundation didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

The Minneapolis Marathon is not connected to the Twin Cities Marathon, which will be held on Oct. 9.

Before you keep reading ...

MPR News is made by Members. Gifts from individuals fuel the programs that you and your neighbors rely on. Donate today to power news, analysis, and community conversations for all.