Emergency officials seek up to $6 million to offset costs during pipeline protests

North Dakota emergency services officials are asking for up to $6 million from the state-owned bank to offset costs associated with help provided to law enforcement during protests against the Dakota Access pipeline.

The Bismarck Tribune reports the state Department of Emergency Services would set up a loan with the Bank of North Dakota and repay it with interest.

Emergency Services Department spokeswoman Cecily Fong says the state had never responded to large protests.

Gov. Jack Dalrymple has also asked for federal help. The newspaper reports his office says the state has spent $1.8 million so far policing the protests.

A federal judge declined to block the four-state pipeline Friday, but federal agencies stopped work near Lake Oahe. Federal agencies also asked pipeline operator Energy Transfer Partners to voluntarily stop work on a 40-mile stretch.

Your support matters.

You make MPR News possible. Individual donations are behind the clarity in coverage from our reporters across the state, stories that connect us, and conversations that provide perspectives. Help ensure MPR remains a resource that brings Minnesotans together.