Road work shouldn't cause you too many problems this weekend. But take a deep breath: On Monday, the Minnesota Department of Transportation begins its massive four-year downtown-to-crosstown project on Interstate 35W in Minneapolis .
While the initial hassles will be relatively tame with bridge, ramp and road closures around I-35W at Portland, Fifth and Franklin avenues, it will still make driving life more complicated. And it will become much more difficult in the spring, when the $240 million project's second phase begins.
So, enjoy this weekend's relatively smooth ride. Here's some of what to watch out for around the Twin Cities. Check MnDOT for the entire list.
I-94, St. Paul to Maplewood
The following ramps are now closed:
• Eastbound I-94 to southbound U.S. Highway 61
• Etna Street to southbound Highway 61
• White Bear Avenue to eastbound I-94
• Eastbound I-94 to Ruth Street
• Eastbound I-94 to Minnesota Highway 120/Century Avenue
I-94 Minneapolis to Brooklyn Center
• The left lane of the eastbound I-94 to Fourth Street ramp is closed through early September
U.S. Highway 169, Edina to Golden Valley
• From 7 p.m. Friday through 9 a.m. Saturday, the ramp from eastbound I-394 to northbound Highway 169 will be closed
Wondering about traffic hassles in greater Minnesota this weekend? MnDOT has a map for that: