Walz administration renews challenge to Line 3 oil pipeline
Gov. Tim Walz says his administration has renewed its challenge to a regulatory panel's approval of Enbridge Energy's plan to replace its aging Line 3 crude oil pipeline across northern Minnesota.
Walz told reporters Monday that the Commerce Department refiled its appeal last week with the Minnesota Court of Appeals, which had dismissed earlier appeals in the case on procedural grounds.
• Podcast: Listen to all of Rivers of Oil
• Subscribe on Apple Podcasts
• Full coverage of the Line 3 debate
Grow the Future of Public Media
MPR's budget year comes to a close on June 30. Help us close the gap by becoming a Sustainer today. When you make a recurring monthly gift, your gift will be matched by the MPR Member Fund for a whole year!
The governor says the state's appeal shouldn't delay the permitting process for the pipeline. And he's critical of lawmakers who've tried unsuccessfully to prohibit the state from spending taxpayer money on the appeal, calling it a gross violation of the separation of powers.
House Minority Leader Kurt Daudt says Republicans are dismayed by the decision. He says replacing Line 3 is the environmentally safest solution for transporting the oil.