The 5-year-old badly hurt after a stranger threw him from the third floor of the Mall of America is conscious and no longer in critical condition, the family's lawyer said Friday, adding it's possible the boy could be home by June.
The family continues to focus on the child's healing and additional surgeries as they ask for privacy, but they are "astounded and blessed" by the online donations made to the family to help with the child's care, attorney Stephen Tillitt told reporters.
More than 28,000 people from around the world have contributed to a GoFundMe page, which lists donations of nearly $1 million currently.
"Your love and generosity overwhelms and means so much to us. We have no idea where we would be without you — God and your prayers have sustained us," the family said in a statement.
A Minneapolis man, Emmanuel Aranda, 24, is facing attempted murder charges for the April 12 incident.
The criminal complaint against him says he had been previously banned from the mall for other incidents. It's not clear if the restriction was still in place when the boy was attacked.
Aranda allegedly told investigators that he'd gone to the mall planning to kill someone.