St. Paul chemical spill prompts evacuation

Chemical spill
St. Paul firefighters enter the St. Paul Athletic Club to evaluate a chemical spill by a janitor in the building involving chlorine and sulfuric acid.
MPR Photo/Tim Nelson

St. Paul firefighters evacuated a building downtown Tuesday morning following a chemical spill.

St. Paul Fire Marshal Steve Zaccard said that a janitor had accidentally mixed two chemicals and released a cloud of vapor.

The incident occurred shortly after 7 a.m. in the St. Paul Athletic Club building, which has a swimming pool on the 8th floor, according to Zaccard. The fire marshal said fire personnel evacuated the building as a precaution and that personnel from a state hazardous materials team found no dangerous vapor in the building after going inside to investigate.

Occupants were allowed back into the building and the materials removed by a waste company this afternoon.

The building's owners said later that they believed the incident involved chemicals mixed by a pool technician and that the vapor was only carbon dioxide.

Fire officials say one person was taken to Regions Hospital from the scene, but was treated and released.

Before you keep reading ...

MPR News is made by Members. Gifts from individuals fuel the programs that you and your neighbors rely on. Donate today to power news, analysis, and community conversations for all.