Tim Nelson is a general assignment reporter for MPR News. He has covered education and the Republican National Convention for MPR. He is a 20-year veteran of newspapers across the Upper Midwest. He spent 16 years at the St. Paul Pioneer Press, where he covered city government. He has also covered crime, written a recreation page and produced blogs and podcasts. A native of Coon Rapids, Minn., Nelson attended Gustavus Adolphus College and the University of Minnesota. He's an avid runner and once swam across lake Minnetonka. He lives in St. Paul with his wife, Erika, daughter Emma and son Gunnar.
- You’re not just seeing things: Minnesota air quality this year is off to its worst start on record
- 3M may be nearing deal to settle lawsuits over 'forever chemicals'
- Android phones have been accidentally calling 911 by the thousands
- St. Paul's Como Zoo has a too-cute new snow leopard cub
- When Minneapolis shelter dogs need exercise, these volunteers come running
- Shepard/Warner Road, Fort Snelling State Park set to reopen after spring flood closures
- Landfill fire continues to smolder near Northfield; air quality monitoring underway
- Legislature plans restrictions on electronic pull-tabs
- St. Paul police arrest man on suspicion of arson in mosque fire
- Police, federal authorities probe St. Paul mosque fire