Tim Nelson is a general assignment reporter for MPR News. He has covered education and the Republican National Convention for MPR. He is a 20-year veteran of newspapers across the Upper Midwest. He spent 16 years at the St. Paul Pioneer Press, where he covered city government. He has also covered crime, written a recreation page and produced blogs and podcasts. A native of Coon Rapids, Minn., Nelson attended Gustavus Adolphus College and the University of Minnesota. He's an avid runner and once swam across lake Minnetonka. He lives in St. Paul with his wife, Erika, daughter Emma and son Gunnar.
- George Floyd's sister: 'They murdered my brother. They killed him.'
- Man dies in MPD custody, 4 cops fired; protesters, police clash
- Archbishop says worshippers need to gather in response to virus outbreak
- Churches, restaurants say Minnesota's reopen plan too slow, unfair
- Walz releases plan to reopen salons, outdoor dining at restaurants
- Health care workers voice safety concerns at legislative hearing
- Sprinklers contain fire in St. Paul high-rise
- Bar owner backs down after state goes to court over planned reopening
- Central Minnesota bar owner backs down, says he won't defy state order to remain closed
- National Guard members start testing for COVID-19 in nursing homes