About 70 people knelt and bowed their heads to pray Friday at the Brian Coyle Center, where the gym became a makeshift mosque.
They came to the gym after their nearby mosque, Dar Al-Hijrah in Minneapolis' Cedar-Riverside neighborhood, suffered water damage following a New Year's Day fire and explosion that destroyed an adjacent building.
Imam Sharif Mohamed said he doesn't know how long it will take before they can start making repairs to the mosque and it's possible the building will have to be torn down. --Brandt Williams, MPR News
• Body of second victim found
• Authorities: Body found after Cedar-Riverside fire
• Photos: Cleanup, investigation continue
• Previously: Explosion, fire rock neighborhood
• Photos: Firefighters worked in brutal conditions
Your support matters.
You make MPR News possible. Individual donations are behind the clarity in coverage from our reporters across the state, stories that connect us, and conversations that provide perspectives. Help ensure MPR remains a resource that brings Minnesotans together.