Following archdiocese charges, Twin Cities Catholics hope for change

Cathedral of Saint Paul
The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis is being criminally charged for its "role in failing to protect children and contribution to the unspeakable harm" done to three victims of former priest Curtis Wehmeyer, Ramsey County Attorney John Choi said Friday, June 5, 2015.
Jeffrey Thompson | MPR News

Some Catholic faithful in the Twin Cities have expressed hope that criminal charges filed last week against the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis will result in major changes in the way the church deals with allegations of sexual abuse.

Explore the full investigation Clergy abuse, cover-up and crisis in the Twin Cities Catholic church

Others say the charges would not have been necessary had church officials handled abuse allegations properly.

The archdiocese is facing six gross misdemeanor counts for allegedly failing to protect children abused by former priest Curtis Wehmeyer, who's serving a five-year prison sentence.

Archdiocese officials said Friday that they're continuing to cooperate with the investigation.

Grow the Future of Public Media

MPR News is supported by Members. Gifts from individuals power everything you find here. Make a gift of any amount today to become a Member!