Hearing in archdiocese criminal case postponed

The first hearing in the criminal case against the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis has been pushed back several weeks.

The hearing, originally set for this Friday, is now scheduled for Aug. 25.

Explore the full investigation Clergy abuse, cover-up and crisis in the Twin Cities Catholic church

In an interview last week, Archbishop Bernard Hebda, the temporary administrator of the Twin Cities archdiocese, said he wasn't "exactly sure" how the archdiocese would plead. "Of course, we want to plead the truth," he said, "and then also to be able to figure out what's correct, and I need a little bit more time to do that."

Ramsey County Attorney John Choi charged the archdiocese last month with six gross misdemeanor counts for allegedly failing to protect children from Curtis Wehmeyer, a former priest now in prison for sexually abusing children and possessing child pornography.

The criminal charges against the archdiocese carry a maximum fine of $18,000. Court records did not provide a reason for the scheduling change.

Your support matters.

You make MPR News possible. Individual donations are behind the clarity in coverage from our reporters across the state, stories that connect us, and conversations that provide perspectives. Help ensure MPR remains a resource that brings Minnesotans together.