Twin Cities parishes want the bankrupt Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis to cover their costs in settling clergy sex abuse claims.
Some 120 parishes are filing creditor claims against the archdiocese.
Explore the full investigation Clergy abuse, cover-up and crisis in the Twin Cities Catholic church
Grow the Future of Public Media
MPR News is supported by Members. Gifts from individuals power everything you find here. Make a gift of any amount today to become a Member!
The parishes want the archdiocese to reimburse the over-payments they made to church insurance plans. They also are seeking compensation for costs related to resolving sex-abuse claims against clergy the archdiocese assigned to parishes.
All creditors are required to file claims by Aug. 3 in the bankruptcy proceedings to protect their interests, said attorney Mary Jo Jensen-Carter, who represents the parishes.
"To the extent that the parishes have been subjected to clergy-abuse, claims ... we're also seeking indemnification and contributions from the archdiocese for the damage the parishes have suffered, or may suffer," Jensen-Carter said.
So far, the parish filings have not placed a dollar value on claims.
Meanwhile, more than 160 persons alleging sex abuse by clergy members have now filed claims against the archdiocese.