Juvenile charges filed against Mpls. girl accused of assaulting principal

The student accused of attacking the principal at Harrison Education Center in Minneapolis has been charged with assault.

An 18-year-old Minneapolis girl was charged with third-degree assault, a felony, and fourth-degree assault, according to a petition filed in Hennepin County Juvenile court.

MPR News typically does not name juveniles in criminal cases.

The principal said the girl had been suspended from school, but showed up on Dec. 7, according to the petition.

Principal Monica Fabre asked the girl to leave, then grabbed the girl's purse and began walking toward the door. That's when the girl grabbed Fabre by the hair, pulling her to the ground. She then punched the her several times in the face.

The assault left the principal with a concussion and head trauma, the petition said. School cameras caught the incident on video.

Harrison is an alternative high school for students with severe emotional or behavioral needs.

Principal Fabre and a paraprofessional were assaulted by teens in separate incidents over the last several weeks, according to Minneapolis Police reports.

Before you go...

MPR News is dedicated to bringing you clarity in coverage from our reporters across the state, stories that connect us, and conversations that provide perspectives when we need it most. We rely on your help to do this. Your donation has the power to keep MPR News strong and accessible to all during this crisis and beyond.