Dayton released from hospital

Governor Hospitalized
Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton gaves a thumbs up as he enters the residence in St. Paul, Minn., Monday, Feb. 1, 2016. Dayton was released from the hospital Monday afternoon, a day after the 69-year-old governor fainted at a hot and crowded event. (Glen Stubbe/Star Tribune via AP) MANDATORY CREDIT; ST. PAUL PIONEER PRESS OUT; MAGS OUT; TWIN CITIES LOCAL TELEVISION OUT

Gov. Mark Dayton was released from Regions Hospital in St. Paul and headed for the governor's residence Monday afternoon after spending Sunday night and much of the day Monday in the hospital.

A staffer said Dayton was treated for dehydration after fainting Sunday evening. Dayton had been attending a volunteer recognition event for Rep. JoAnn Ward, DFL-Woodbury when he started to feel faint.

Dayton continued working during his hospital stay and sent letters to legislative leaders about his proposal for a special session.

"He is grateful for the excellent level of care he received while a patient at Regions,” said senior advisor Bob Hume.

Dayton, 69, underwent back surgery in December and had a procedure on his hip in 2013. But the governor has repeatedly insisted that his health is fine.

Last week, he boasted about his plans to visit all 87 counties this summer.

Your support matters.

You make MPR News possible. Individual donations are behind the clarity in coverage from our reporters across the state, stories that connect us, and conversations that provide perspectives. Help ensure MPR remains a resource that brings Minnesotans together.