1 dead after shooting in St. Paul

St. Paul Police investigate a shooting
St. Paul police investigate evidence at the scene of a shooting near the intersection of Fuller Avenue and St. Albans Street North.
Evan Frost | MPR News

Updated: 8:35 p.m. | Posted: 5:11 p.m.

St. Paul police are investigating a fatal shooting that happened in a residential area not far from Dale Street and University Avenue on Monday afternoon.

Officers found a man with a gunshot wound when they responded to a shots-fired call around 2:30 p.m. at the intersection of Fuller Avenue and St. Albans Street North. The victim was taken to Regions Hospital where he was pronounced dead, said police spokesman Steve Linders.

Officials have yet to identify the victim or a motive. Officers didn't find a weapon on the scene after forensics processing, Linders said. Police are working with the community to find the shooter, he said.

The area has seen increased violence lately. On Saturday afternoon — about a mile east of Monday's killing — another man was fatally shot.

Before you keep reading ...

MPR News is made by Members. Gifts from individuals fuel the programs that you and your neighbors rely on. Donate today to power news, analysis, and community conversations for all.

And later on Monday afternoon, there was gunfire near the Dale Street light rail platform, temporarily halting trains.

A man on the train was shot, said Metro Transit spokesman Howie Padilla. The man is expected to survive his injury. Metro Transit police are investigating.

Metro Transit Police officers stand guard.
Metro Transit police officers stand guard near a Green Line train at the Dale Street stop in St. Paul.
Evan Frost | MPR News

MPR News reporter Marianne Combs was on a westbound train stopped at the Dale Street light rail station at about 4:40 p.m. when she said she heard what sounded like shooting.

In the train's front car, Combs said, there was a crowd of young people who seemed nervous about whether to get off the train as it approached the Dale Street stop. A person standing at the front of the platform ran ran toward the first car as it approached the stop, Combs said. Shortly after the doors opened, Combs said she heard what sounded like a round of shots fired.

Passengers in the front car got on the ground, then came a second series of what sounded like gunfire. After that, Combs said, police were on the scene.

Officials said there are no indications the LRT incident and the fatal shooting a couple of hours and a couple of blocks away were connected.

Monday's killing was the ninth of the year in St. Paul, Linders said, and there's been an increase of shots-fired reports.

"We're very concerned about gun fire in the city of St. Paul," Linders said. "Everybody should be concerned. Any time people are shooting guns in the city it's a concern."

Correction (April 19, 2017): An earlier version of this story was unclear on the order of events that unfolded as the train came to a stop at the Dale Street station. It has been updated for clarity.