What’s really being said on the Terrance Franklin video?

Metadata attached to the video show it was recorded at 3:29:58 p.m. (MPR News screen grab, highlighting added)

A lawyer for Terrance Franklin's family says he has a recording of Franklin's voice captured minutes before police shot and killed him in the basement of a Minneapolis home this spring.

This is the second time attorney Michael Padden has drawn attention to a cell phone video recorded across the street from the home where the shooting took place.

The video, which was posted to YouTube, shows police officers running toward the house. The audio quality is poor.

About 26 seconds in, Padden claims police officers can be heard using the N-word, an accusation he's made before. He now says Franklin's voice also can be heard yelling "Man, let me go." MPR News removed some of the background noise, but the words remain difficult to understand.

Grow the Future of Public Media

MPR News is supported by Members. Gifts from individuals power everything you find here. Make a gift of any amount today to become a Member!

The Minneapolis police department denies any racial epithets were used. They've said the officers outside the house were yelling for a tourniquet.

Padden says the voices were transmitted from the basement over police radios. It's impossible to verify whether that theory is plausible.

According to the police account released last week, Franklin got a hold of an officer's gun during a scuffle in the basement and shot two of the officers trying to apprehend him at about 3:29 p.m. on May 10.

MPR News examined the metadata attached to the video, and it appears to have been recorded a couple seconds before 3:30 p.m.

Franklin video metadata
Metadata attached to the video show it was recorded at 3:29:58 p.m. (MPR News screen grab, highlighting added)

Police say the scuffle continued after Franklin fired the shots, but the account doesn't detail exactly how much time elapsed before police shot and killed him. The Hennepin County Medical Examiner determined that he died at 3:35 p.m. as a result of multiple gunshot wounds.

Police have not yet released all the documents related to the investigation. Padden promises to reveal additional details of his own investigation tomorrow.