On Air
0:00
0:00
Open In Popup
MPR News

Police: Father, daughter, die in trailer with high carbon monoxide

Share story

Updated 12:10 p.m. | Posted 7:05 a.m. 

A father and his 11-year-old daughter died late Wednesday after being exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide in a camper in Rice Lake Township.

Authorities say the bodies of Michael Mechley, 39, and Charlene Mechley, 11, were found Wednesday night.

Two others, 15-year-old Karley Mechley and 14-year-old Noah Mechley, were rushed to Essentia Hospital in Duluth. A hospital spokeswoman said the two teens have been transferred to another undisclosed facility.

Rice Lake Township firefighters say the carbon monoxide levels in the camper were high and a generator was found nearby.

St. Louis County Sheriff Lt. Jason Lukovsky said the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning tend to increase during the winter.   "We'd like to advise the public to be cautious when they are heating their homes with certain methods," Lukovsky said. "Fires are another thing that happens this time of year, whether they be chimney fires or things around a wood stove, so it's one of those precautionary measures people need to take."

According to the Minnesota Department of Health, 18 people died of carbon monoxide poisoning last year.

MPR News Reporter Jon Collins contributed to this report.