Phillips asks police to investigate campaign office break-in

Updated: 3 p.m.

The campaign of Democratic U.S. Rep. Dean Phillips has asked law enforcement to investigate a weekend break-in at its Minnetonka office.

Phillips tweeted a picture of a shattered door. Campaign manager Richard Carlbom said in a written statement Sunday that items from the office were taken.

“The Phillips for Congress office in Minnetonka was burglarized overnight and certain items stolen from the premises. We are working with law enforcement and reviewing security footage to identify those responsible, who will be prosecuted with the full force of the law,” Carlbom said. 

Phillips is in his first term representing a west-suburban district. Republican Kendall Qualls is challenging him for the seat.

Qualls issued a statement Sunday, saying he condemns “the increasing violence and lawlessness in our communities, whether it takes place against Minneapolis businesses, my opponent's campaign office or through repeated thefts of his and our campaign lawn signs. This type of behavior is despicable. I know our local law enforcement agencies will be working hard to investigate and seek justice for everyone impacted, and thank them for their efforts.”

The district had been represented by Republicans for several decades before Phillips won a 2018 race over the then-incumbent Rep. Erik Paulsen.

Your support matters.

You make MPR News possible. Individual donations are behind the clarity in coverage from our reporters across the state, stories that connect us, and conversations that provide perspectives. Help ensure MPR remains a resource that brings Minnesotans together.