Demonstrators Monday evening called for an independent investigation into the last month's death of a burglary suspect in a south Minneapolis home.
Around 100 people marched from the home where Terrance Franklin, 22, was killed to the Minneapolis Police 5th Precinct station a mile away.
Police say on May 10, Franklin, 22, was fatally shot in the basement of an uptown Minneapolis home. He was fleeing police who suspected him in a burglary. Police say after being cornered in the basement, Franklin fought with Minneapolis police officers, grabbing at one of their guns.
Franklin's sister, Jasmine Mitchell, doubts the police version of the incident.
"The person that they're making Terrance to be -- it's not him. Their stories keep switching. Their evidence, that they say they have, it's never been brought out," Mitchell said.
Following standard procedure, police forwarded the report of their investigation to the Hennepin County Attorney's office last week. A grand jury will determine if any charges are warranted.
The police investigation drew some criticism for perceived lack of information provided to the public. At a protest last week, people criticized police handling of the case at the Hennepin County Government Center in downtown Minneapolis. Reies Romero, an organizer of Monday's demonstration, said Franklin's death was the result of racial profiling.
"We're about trying to end the racial profiling of our youth of color. And police that do that should be held responsible," Romero said. "We're not against all cops. We're against crooked cops."
Before you keep reading ...
MPR News is made by Members. Gifts from individuals fuel the programs that you and your neighbors rely on. Donate today to power news, analysis, and community conversations for all.