Middle East

The war and humanitarian crisis in Gaza directly impacts many Minnesotans. And while MPR News does not have journalists stationed in the region, we do have a responsibility to our audiences to report on how this ongoing conflict affects people here. Our goal is to provide MPR News audiences with a variety of perspectives, context and factual information. We are committed to using language that is as precise as possible.

As you will see here, the majority of the coverage on our air and our website is provided by our national and international news partners, NPR and the BBC. The language and terminology used to describe the conflict are changing. If you have questions or concerns about our coverage please reach out to us.

Two St. Paul council members reveal how they overcame deep divisions to pass cease-fire resolution
Late last month, the St. Paul City Council was at an impasse over a resolution calling for a cease-fire in the Israel-Hamas war. But then last week, they passed one unanimously, calling for a quote “immediate and permanent mutual cease-fire.” MPR News correspondent Catharine Richert sat down with council members Cheniqua Johnson and Rebecca Noecker to find out how the council found common ground.
A U.N. report finds 'reasonable grounds to believe' attacks in Israel included rapes
The report, which fell short of a full U.N. investigation, said rape likely occurred at at least three sites on Oct. 7. Some hostages held in Gaza were also subject to sexual violence, the team found.
St. Paul City Council remains unaligned on declaring resolution for a cease-fire in Israel-Hamas war
Council Member Nelsie Yang said she plans to introduce a resolution at next week’s meeting. The council isn’t aligned on the matter, and it’s facing increasing pressure to debate it publicly.